What are the 10 Commandments?
As Recorded in Deuteronomy 5:6-22 (NIV) they are:
"I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
1. "You shall have no other gods before Me.
2. "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand
[ generations] of those who love Me and keep My commandments.
3. "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses His name.
4. "Observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy, as the LORD your God has commanded you. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your ox, your donkey or any of your animals, nor the alien within your gates, so that your manservant and maidservant may rest, as you do. Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the LORD your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the LORD your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.
5. "Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the LORD your God is giving you.
6. "You shall not murder.
7. "You shall not commit adultery.
8. "You shall not steal.
9. "You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
10."You shall not covet your neighbor's wife. You shall not set your desire on your neighbor's house or land, his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor."
These are the commandments the LORD proclaimed in a loud voice to your whole assembly there on the mountain from out of the fire, the cloud and the deep darkness; and He added nothing more. Then He wrote them on two stone tablets and gave them to me (Moses).
These 10 Commandments were given by the Lord God of the Universe to His people, the Jewish Nation, shortly after their exodus from Egypt.
These commandments are recorded twice in the Old Testament, once in Exodus and again in Deuteronomy.
Even though they were given to the young Jewish Nation, they are applicable to all people everywhere because they are the "universal" standards by which God desires and expects all people to live IF they are to have harmony and fellowship with each other and with Him.
Keeping these commandments will NOT earn salvation for a person. Rather, they are intended to show a person how to live.
If a person breaks one or more of these commandments (and who hasn't?), then that person can NOT spend eternity with God in His heaven, and is doomed and destined to eternity in Hell, UNLESS he (or she) has confessed, repented, and accepted Jesus' gift of His substutionary death as the required sacrificial death payment for the sin of disobedience by breaking one or more of these commandments.
To learn more,
Click here For a Free Downloadable "in depth" Interactive study of
The 10 Commandments.
Scriptures unless otherwise indicated are taken from the
HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION.
Copyright � 1973,1978,1984 International Bible Society. Used
by permission of Zondervan Publishers.